Blog Post 8
Adaptive Technolgies are among the most exciting prospects in terms of educational technolgoical systems. The ability of software to adapt to the needs of the student or the learner is incredible. Some of these software programs include those for advanced and gifted students. Online programs often offer the ability to formulate challenging course material for those students who may not be particularly challenged by the curriculum. In addition, there are adaptive technolgoical programs that exist for those who speak english as their second language. Programs offer teachers solutions for working with students with communication barriers. When I worked with the 1st grade classrooms at FSUS last year I saw that they often used adaptive technology to challenge every student at their respective reading level. While the benefits are enumerable, there are many challenges. For example, at higher levels, the differences in difficulty of work or challenge can often lead to minor social stratification and lower levels of achievement for those students who are given easier material.
Powerpoint is a great technology for meeting the levels outlined in bloom's taxonomy. Lets say for example, I was teaching a lesson on the Battle of Gettysburg. For remembering, I would teach them the events of each day. This is the basic stage: remembering. Next, I would instruct them on why such information is important: understanding. Each slide would give information clarifying the decision making process. For application, I could show an empty map and have the students show where Lee's troops went and where the Union troops went. Next, I would have a slide of questions that would guide the students on why the think the decisions made were done in such a way. This would be analyzing, which could lead into the evaluation slide in which I would ask who the best general in the battle was. Finally for creating, I would show a map of the first day, and I wouldhave the students create their own battle plan.
As mentioned in the book, teachers need to be the driving force behind the evolution of technology both within and outside the classroom. Reddit's technology board (located at reddit.com/r/technology) is my personal choice for staying updated on technology.
Reddit uses a user-submitted content forum that rates content based on an upvote system. This keeps the most current and relevant information at the front page of visible content. This can be a great way to manage information and learn new content, which can be of great assistance in teaching and staying informed.
Powerpoint is a great technology for meeting the levels outlined in bloom's taxonomy. Lets say for example, I was teaching a lesson on the Battle of Gettysburg. For remembering, I would teach them the events of each day. This is the basic stage: remembering. Next, I would instruct them on why such information is important: understanding. Each slide would give information clarifying the decision making process. For application, I could show an empty map and have the students show where Lee's troops went and where the Union troops went. Next, I would have a slide of questions that would guide the students on why the think the decisions made were done in such a way. This would be analyzing, which could lead into the evaluation slide in which I would ask who the best general in the battle was. Finally for creating, I would show a map of the first day, and I wouldhave the students create their own battle plan.
As mentioned in the book, teachers need to be the driving force behind the evolution of technology both within and outside the classroom. Reddit's technology board (located at reddit.com/r/technology) is my personal choice for staying updated on technology.
Reddit uses a user-submitted content forum that rates content based on an upvote system. This keeps the most current and relevant information at the front page of visible content. This can be a great way to manage information and learn new content, which can be of great assistance in teaching and staying informed.

Comments
Post a Comment